Tomato and French Bean Salad
Young, tender string beans may be substituted for the French beans.
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 pound French beans (haricots verts), stem ends removed and beans cut in half
- 3 ripe tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 bunch arugula, stems removed and leaves cut in half
In a small bowl, combine juices, soy sauce, coriander, ginger, and honey. Whisk in oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt and beans; cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain beans, then cool in ice water.
Slice tomatoes 3/4 inch thick, and cut slices into chunks. Drain beans well and place in a bowl with tomatoes and arugula. Season with salt and pepper and toss with dressing. Arrange on 4 salad plates.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, September 1994