Black and White Pepper Shrimp
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, preferably head-on
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons white peppercorns
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Maldon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- Vietnamese Dipping Sauce Recipe
- 8 sprigs fresh cilantro, for garnish
Place six to eight 10-inch wooden skewers in cold water for 10 minutes to soak. This will prevent them from burning on the grill.
Starting with the tail end of each shrimp, gently push a skewer under the shell along the back of the shrimp until it just comes to the head. Set shrimp on a baking sheet; set aside.
Preheat a grill pan or grill to medium-high.
Using a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder, coarsely grind both peppercorns. In a small bowl, mix together ground peppercorns and salt. Drizzle shrimp with safflower oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper mixture.
Place shrimp on grill and cook until prawns become light pink and slightly charred, about 2 minutes. Turn and continue to cook until shrimp are cooked through, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes more. Serve with dipping sauce, garnished with cilantro.