Emeril's Chicken Paillards with Chickpea Relish and Arugula
Emeril really enjoys the spiciness of the arugula in this dish, but you can use another variety of fresh greens, such as baby spinach or a mesclun blend.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, April 2009
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for pan
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 bunch fresh arugula, tough stems removed
Lay chicken flat; holding a sharp knife parallel to work surface, split chicken in half horizontally. Cover with plastic wrap; pound each cutlet with the flat side of a meat mallet or the bottom of a small pan until inch thick.
In a shallow dish, combine 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Add chicken; turn to coat. Heat a large skillet over medium-high; lightly brush with oil. Cook chicken until opaque throughout, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
In a bowl, toss together chickpeas, onion, basil, 2 tablespoons oil, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.
Top chicken with chickpea relish; serve with arugula and lemon wedges.