Creamed Spinach and Basil
This creamed spinach recipe is courtesy of chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten and goes well with his roasted chicken and potatoes.
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, March Spring 2008
- Coarse salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 3 cups tightly packed spinach leaves
- 3 cups tightly packed basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons very finely chopped fennel
- 3 tablespoons very finely chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon very finely chopped Serrano chile (optional)
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spinach and basil and cook until wilted. Immediately transfer to an ice-water bath. Drain and squeeze dry; coarsely chop and set aside.
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and shallots and cook until golden. Add fennel and celery and continue cooking until soft and translucent.
Add cream and let reduce until thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add spinach, basil, and chile, if using; stir to combine. Cook until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper; serve immediately.