Couscous with Spiced Red Sauce, Chickpeas, and Almonds
This simple and satisfying dish makes use of pantry staples: canned chickpeas, slivered almonds, and golden raisins.
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 3/4 cup Versatile Tomato Sauce Versatile Tomato Sauce
- Pinch of ground, cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon almond slivers
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish (optional)
Place couscous in a small bowl. Cover with 1 cup boiling water. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; let couscous sit 10 minutes to soften. Fluff with a fork, and set aside.
Heat sauce, cinnamon, and cumin in a saucepan over medium heat. Add chickpeas, raisins, and almonds, and heat until hot. Season with salt and pepper. Serve couscous topped with sauce, and garnish with parsley, if using.