Couscous with Spiced Red Sauce, Chickpeas, and Almonds
This simple and satisfying dish makes use of pantry staples: canned chickpeas, slivered almonds, and golden raisins.
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 3/4 cup Versatile Tomato Sauce Versatile Tomato Sauce
- Pinch of ground, cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon almond slivers
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish (optional)
Place couscous in a small bowl. Cover with 1 cup boiling water. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; let couscous sit 10 minutes to soften. Fluff with a fork, and set aside.
Heat sauce, cinnamon, and cumin in a saucepan over medium heat. Add chickpeas, raisins, and almonds, and heat until hot. Season with salt and pepper. Serve couscous topped with sauce, and garnish with parsley, if using.
SourceMartha Stewart Baby, Special Issue 2000