Shrimp and Vegetable Fried Rice
Make the rice a day ahead, or use leftovers; while cooking, constantly stir and toss the ingredients in the wok.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 1998
- 1 1/4 cups brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces sugar snap or snow peas, stems trimmed and strings removed
- 1/2 cup Homemade Chicken Stock Homemade Chicken Stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 8 ounces small shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cut in half crosswise
- 1 small onion, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 thin stalks celery, strings removed and sliced thinly on bias
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced into very thin half moons
- 1/2 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and sliced into 3/4-inch-long match sticks
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup bean sprouts
- 4 scallions, trimmed and sliced into 3/4-inch-long matchsticks
- 1/4 cup watercress leaves
In a medium saucepan, combine rice, salt, and 2 1/2 cups water; bring to a boil. Cover; simmer over medium-low heat until rice is tender and water has been absorbed, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Spread rice in a single layer over a parchment-lined baking sheet. Let sit, uncovered, 3 to 4 hours.
Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Blanch peas 1 minute. Drain; set aside.
In a small bowl, combine chicken stock and soy sauce; set aside. Heat a wok or a large, straight-sided skillet over high heat until very hot. Add 1 teaspoon oil; swirl to coat bottom and sides. Add shrimp. Cook until shrimp have cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to covered bowl.
In the same wok, swirl in remaining teaspoon oil. Add onion and garlic; cook 2 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons stock mixture as well as ginger, mushrooms, celery, carrot, bell pepper, and black pepper; cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon stock mixture, sprouts, and reserved shrimp; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add reserved rice and remaining chicken stock; cook 2 minutes. Stir in scallions and blanched snap peas; cook 1 minute more. Stir in watercress, and serve.