Grilled Pineapple and Avocado Salsa
Grilling pineapple caramelizes its sugars, making it even sweeter.
- Yield: Makes 4 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 1995
- 1 pineapple, (about 4 1/2 pounds), peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch-thick rings
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small Hass avocados
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced, seeded jalapeno pepper, (about 1 small pepper)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Heat grill or grill pan to medium hot. Brush pineapple rings lightly with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Grill until brown and caramelized, about 8 minutes per side. Or cook on a grill pan over medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes on each side. Cool slightly, and cut into 1-inch chunks. Transfer to a bowl.
Halve avocados; remove and discard pit and peel. Cut flesh into 1/2-inch chunks; add to pineapple along with lime juice, jalapeno, and cilantro. Toss to combine, and serve.