Sweet Corn with Baby Beets and Basil
The vegetables in this side dish are simply tossed in olive oil, allowing the earthy-sweet summer flavors and bright colors to shine.
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 ears of corn, husked and halved
- 8 baby beets (about 1 pound), trimmed and scrubbed
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 to 2 tablespoons torn fresh basil
- Garnish: basil sprigs
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil; season with salt. Cook corn until tender, about 4 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon, and transfer to a plate.
Add beets to water, and simmer, partially covered, until tender when pierced with a knife, 30 to 35 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon, and transfer to a plate. Let cool slightly. Peel, and cut beets into halves or quarters.
Carefully cut kernels from corncobs using a sharp knife, and transfer to a large shallow bowl. Add beets, and drizzle with oil. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in torn basil. Garnish with basil sprigs.