Fusilli al Telefono
Try this recipe any night of the week for a simple and delicious pasta meal. Photo credit: "Pasta Sfoglia," by Ron and Colleen Suhanosky (Wiley)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 pound good-quality fusilli
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 (1-pound, 12-ounce) cans peeled whole San Marzano tomatoes
- 15 large fresh basil leaves, julienned
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound whole milk mozzarella di bufala, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
Fill a large pot with 5 quarts water; season with 2 tablespoons salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add fusilli to boiling water and cook according to package directions.
Add grape seed oil and garlic to a medium skillet and place over high heat. Cook until edges of garlic turn golden, about 1 minute. Using your hands, break up and squeeze tomatoes directly into skillet. Immediately add basil, remaining 2 teaspoons salt, and pepper. Bring sauce to a boil; immediately reduce heat to medium.
When pasta is cooked, remove sauce from heat. Stir mozzarella into sauce until well combined. Using a wire-mesh skimmer, transfer pasta to sauce. Fold fusilli into sauce until mozzarella has attached itself to the fusilli.
Serve immediately with Parmesan, if desired.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, October 2009