This chocolate crust makes a 10-inch shell for the pumpkin chocolate tart.
- Yield: Makes one 10-inch tart shell
Photography: Steve Baxter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, cinnamon, and cloves in a bowl. Add butter; with an electric mixer on low speed, mix until butter is the size of small peas, about 5 minutes. Add egg; mix until ingredients form a dough. Wrap dough in plastic; refrigerate at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to just thicker than 1/8 inch. Brush off excess flour; transfer dough to a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press dough into bottom and up sides of pan; trim excess flush with edge. Lightly prick bottom of dough all over with a fork. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes (or up to 1 day).
Bake shell until firm, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven; immediately sprinkle chocolate evenly over bottom of shell, and smooth with an offset spatula.