John Sierp's Rigatoni Alla Rescigno with Crab Bruschetta
This recipe for rigatoni alla rescigno with crab bruschetta is courtesy of John Sierp.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, rinsed, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more as necessary
- 1 pound pancetta, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 portobello mushroom caps, trimmed, gills removed, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons John Sierp's Garlic Oil
- 1/2 cup homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 15 medium red tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 15 fresh basil leaves, julienned
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds rigatoni
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese, for garnish
- John Sierp's Crab Bruschetta
Combine flour, garlic, oregano, sea salt, and cracked black pepper in a shallow dish; dredge chicken in flour mixture. Heat olive oil in a Dutch-oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches; saute until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels; set aside.
Using the same pan, brown pancetta over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, shallots, and garlic oil; cook until shallots are translucent. Add chicken stock 1 tablespoon at a time to prevent sticking, if necessary.
Increase heat to high; add sherry, and stir with a wooden spoon to scrape browned bits from bottom of pan. Cook for 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes, red pepper, if using, remaining chicken stock, and half of the basil; season with salt and pepper. Reduce to medium-low heat, and cook until sauce begins to thicken, 40 to 50 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil; season with salt. Add rigatoni, and cook according to package instructions. Drain; set aside.
Stir cream and remaining basil into the sauce; season with salt and pepper. Transfer rigatoni to a large serving dish; top with chicken, and pour sauce over. Sprinkle with cheese, and serve with bruschetta, if desired.