Roasted Pears and Quinces with Tangerine Zest
Pears and quinces are roasted with strips of tangerine zest, which add color and tang.
- 10 small pears, preferably Forelle, peeled, halved, and seeded
- 5 quinces, peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into 8 to 10 wedges
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tangerines, zest cut into strips, and juiced (about 1 cup)
- 2 vanilla beans, split and scraped, pods reserved
- 2 cups dry white wine
- Vanilla-Bean Creme Anglaise (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place pears and quinces in 2 separate bowls, and squeeze lemon over pieces (fruit will brown slightly).
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in each of 2 large ovenproof skillets over medium-high heat. Add pears to 1 skillet and quinces to other skillet. Divide sugar, tangerine zest, and vanilla pods and seeds evenly between skillets. Cook for 5 minutes, tossing. Divide tangerine juice and wine evenly between skillets.
Transfer skillets to oven, and roast, basting often with pan juices, until fruits are tender when pierced with a sharp knife, about 30 minutes for the pears and 1 hour for the quinces. Combine fruit, and serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla-bean creme anglaise if desired.