Grilled Vegetables and Tomato Bread
The softened grilled garlic is delicious spread on the tomato bread.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August/September 1993
- 1 head garlic
- 1 red onion, peeled and thickly sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant or 2 baby eggplants, purple or white
- 2 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 red pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 loaf of crusty bread
- 1 tomato
- 1 bunch arugula
Brush garlic and onion slices with oil and place near the edge of a medium-hot grill to cook slowly. Grill for 5 to 10 minutes, turning garlic often. Leave on grill while cooking vegetables in step 2.
Cut eggplant into thick slices or in half lengthwise, depending on size. Brush eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, and peppers lightly with oil and place in center of grill. Cook a few minutes per side, turning once, until vegetables are seared and brown.
Slice bread and brush with oil. Grill on both sides just until brown. Cut tomato in half and rub over one side of hot bread; discard tomato.
Arrange grilled vegetables, bread, onion, and garlic on top of arugula and serve immediately.