Banana Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream
Sliced bananas garnish this rich, banana-flavored cupcake.
- Yield: Makes 28
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2009
- 3 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 4 very ripe large bananas, mashed (about 2 cups), plus sliced bananas for garnish
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Caramel Buttercream
Make cupcakes as directed in Basic Cupcake How-To, using mashed bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla for wet ingredients.
Stir pecans into batter. Once cupcakes are cool, frost tops with caramel buttercream. Frosted cupcakes will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 2 days. Top with banana slices before serving.