Smoked Salmon Platter with Fennel Salad
- Servings: 12
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2008
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed, plus 1 tablespoon chopped fronds, remaining fronds reserved for platter
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 side of smoked salmon (about 1 1/2 pounds), sliced
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- Capers and cornichons, for serving
- Pumpernickel bread, thinly sliced and cut into triangles, for serving
Using a mandoline or handheld slicer, shave fennel less than 1/8 inch thick. Toss with lemon juice, salt, pepper, and oil in a medium bowl. Mix in chopped fennel fronds.
Line a serving platter with reserved fennel fronds. Top with salmon, and serve with cream cheese, capers, cornichons, bread, and fennel salad.