Celery Root Soup with Brussels Sprouts and Chestnuts
This soup from chef Michael Anthony of Gramercy Tavern adds a touch of elegance to any meal.Photo credit: Ellen Silverman
- Servings: 12
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, Episode 5029
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 medium celery root, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 small onions, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, rinsed well and chopped
- 10 shallots, chopped
- 16 cups store-bought or homemade Vegetable Stock
- 1 cardamom pod
- 1 (1-inch) stick cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander
- 1 star anise
- 1 cup brussels sprout leaves (from about 15 brussels sprouts)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup peeled, cored, and chopped honeycrisp apples
- Chestnut Puree for Celery Root Soup with Brussels Sprouts and Chestnuts
- Croutons for Celery Root Soup with Brussels Sprouts and Chestnuts
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add celery root, onions, celery, leek, and shallots. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add stock and bring to a simmer. Place cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, and star anise in a piece of cheesecloth. Using kitchen twine, tie to enclose; add to saucepan. Simmer until celery root is tender, about 35 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat remaining teaspoon olive oil. Add brussels sprout leaves and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and just wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.
Add heavy cream to saucepan and return to a simmer; cook 10 minutes more. Meanwhile, heat butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat until melted. Continue heating until butter is golden and fragrant; immediately remove from heat and set aside.
Remove cheesecloth packet from saucepan and discard. Working in batches, transfer mixture to the jar of a blender and carefully blend until pureed. Return puree to a saucepan, add browned butter, and reheat, if necessary. Serve hot, garnishing each bowl with 1 teaspoon reserved brussels sprout leaves, 1 teaspoon chopped apples, 3 tablespoons chestnut puree, and 1 teaspoon croutons.