Roast Chicken My Way with Parsley-Lemon Oil
This recipe for Dad's Roast Chicken My Way is adapted from Dave Lieberman's cookbook "Young and Hungry"
- One (3 1/2-pound) chicken, rinsed, patted dry, trimmed of excess fat or skin, wing tips discarded, cut into 8 serving pieces (for the roast chicken)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, (for the roast chicken)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, (for the roast chicken)
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme (for the roast chicken)
- Zest of 1/2 lemon, (for the roast chicken)
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, leaves removed and finely chopped (for the parsley-lemon oil)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (for the parsley-lemon oil)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, (for the parsley-lemon oil)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, (for the parsley-lemon oil)
- Basil-Chive Red Potato Mash
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken in a 13-by-11-inch baking pan. Season generously with salt, pepper, olive oil, rosemary, thyme, and zest; toss to combine. Arrange chicken in a single layer, skin-side up. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes or covered in a refrigerator overnight.
Transfer to oven, and roast until skin is browned and juices run clear, about 35 to 40 minutes. If white meat is done before the dark meat, transfer to a serving platter while dark meat finishes cooking.
Meanwhile, prepare the parsley-lemon oil; in a small bowl, combine parsley, extra-virgin olive oil, and juice; season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Serve chicken with potato mash. Garnish with parsley-lemon oil.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, December Winter 2005