Celery Root Puree
The soup takes about an hour to prepare -- mainly because the vegetables need to cook for about 30 minutes to become soft enough to puree. When serving the soup, pair it with a frisee salad.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 2
Source: Blueprint, January/February 2008
For the Sauce
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon brandy
For the Soup and Garnish
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 shallot, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts, halved and sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 celery stalk, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/4 pound celery root (celeriac), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 3 cup homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- Freshly ground pepper
In a medium stockpot, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add onion and shallot, and season with salt. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, leek, and celery. Season with salt and cook until vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes. Add celery root and chicken stock, and bring to a simmer. Cover, and cook until celery root is tender, about 30 minutes.
While still hot, puree soup in batches until completely smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Combine syrup and brandy. Drizzle over hot soup and serve.