Source: Everyday Food, April 2009
- 1 whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds), giblets and liver discarded
- 1 pound carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 pound parsnips, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
- 4 teaspoons coarse salt
- Cooked wide egg noodles, for serving
In a large pot, combine chicken, carrots, parsnips, and onions. Add water to just cover. Stir in salt. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes (skim off foam). Transfer chicken to a plate to cool; refrigerate (see note, below). To serve soup, add noodles to broth, and season with salt, if desired.