Potato Cakes with Cilantro
This recipe comes courtesy of Anissa Helou, a journalist, author, and expert on Moroccan and Mediterranean cooking. It was featured on "Martha Stewart Living Television".
- 1 pound unpeeled Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- Fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot chile peppers, crushed to a coarse powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Place potatoes and garlic in a medium saucepan. Add enough water to cover. Season with salt. Bring to a boil, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, and cool slightly.
Peel potatoes, and slip garlic out of skins. Using a ricer, rice potatoes and garlic into a medium bowl. Add parsley, cilantro, cumin, paprika, and chiles. Season with salt, and stir to combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Add 1 egg; stir to combine. Divide the mixture into 8 small round cakes; set aside.
Beat remaining egg in a shallow dish. Heat vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, dip potato cakes into egg to coat both sides, and place in skillet. Fry until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature sprinkled with chopped cilantro.