Make this shallot-brandy sauce to accompany our Beef Tenderloin with Mushrooms and Thyme.
- Yield: Makes about 2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2006
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 cup brandy
- 4 cups homemade or low-sodium store bought beef stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh thyme
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic; cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; add brandy. Bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half. Whisk in stock and cream and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in thyme; season with salt and pepper.