For a complete meal, serve this salad with pita bread, feta cheese, and hummus. If you are on a low-sodium diet, substitute a less-salty cheese for the feta.
- 4 medium red beets, (about 1 pound without greens), 1/2 inch of stems left intact
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound carrots, (about 8 medium), cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 small whole wheat pita breads, quartered
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss beets with 1 teaspoon oil on a rimmed baking sheet. Cover sheet with foil. Roast beets until tender, 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool. Trim and peel beets; cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
Meanwhile, toss carrots, 1 teaspoon oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt on another rimmed baking sheet. Roast carrots until browned and tender, about 40 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
Stir lemon juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, the parsley, and thyme in a small bowl. Whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons oil until emulsified. Season with pepper. Toss beets and carrots with dressing in a medium bowl. To serve, divide salad, pita, feta, and hummus among 4 plates. Drizzle oil over feta and hummus on each plate.
SourceMSL Cookbook Vol. 2; The New Classics