Layer cake, berries, and cream for this crowd-pleasing dessert. This recipe is from Randy Mattox of Axton, Virginia.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 12
Source: Everyday Food, December 2006
- 1/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 packages frozen raspberries (12 ounces each), thawed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 store-bought pound cake (12 ounces), cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 350. Spread coconut on a baking sheet; toast until browned, about 6 minutes. Set aside. In a bowl, combine sherry, berries, and lemon zest; set aside. In another bowl, with a whisk or an electric mixer, beat cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
Line the bottom of a 4-quart glass serving bowl with a layer of cake slices, packing them tightly. Spreading evenly, top with half the raspberry mixture, then half the cream.
Add a second layer of cake slices, raspberry mixture, and cream; sprinkle with coconut and almonds. Serve immediately, or for best texture, refrigerate, covered, overnight.