Chicken breasts stay moist when cooked in the microwave on a bed of onion and apple. Ketchup, curry powder, and yogurt make a sweet, mildly spicy, and creamy sauce.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, June 2006
- 1 small (1 cup) red onion, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 (1 1/4 cups) green apple, quartered, cored, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, about 6 ounces each
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
In a 2-quart microwave-safe dish with lid, stir together onion, apple, garlic, ketchup, and curry powder. Add 1/4 cup water. Season with salt and pepper; stir to combine.
Add chicken; season with salt and pepper. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes longer or until chicken is opaque throughout. Lift chicken from dish, and divide among four serving plates.
Stir yogurt into onion-apple mixture in dish; spoon sauce over chicken, and sprinkle cilantro over each plate. Serve with rice or noodles, if desired.