Filled with roasted chestnuts and sweet Italian sausage, this recipe is the ideal stuffing for a Thanksgiving feast.
- Servings: 12
- Yield: Makes 10 cups or enough for one 16- to 18-pound turkey
Source: MSL Cookbook Vol. 2; The New Classics
- 1 loaf day-old rustic Italian bread (about 1 pound), trimmed of crust and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 1 pound fresh chestnuts
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Unsalted butter, for baking dish
Let bread cubes stand on a baking sheet at room temperature 3 hours to dry.
Lay each chestnut flat on a work surface, and cut an X in the pointed tip of shell with a paring or chestnut knife. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Boil chestnuts 2 minutes; remove pot from heat. Remove chestnuts with a slotted spoon; peel away shells. Quarter nutmeat; transfer to a large bowl. Add bread.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Split sausages; scrape meat into a large saute pan set over medium heat; crumble with a fork. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Add oil; swirl pan. Add onions, celery, and garlic. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, 15 to 17 minutes. Add to bread mixture.
Add wine to pan. Scraping up any brown bits from bottom with a wooden spoon, cook over medium heat until wine is reduced by half. Add to bread mixture.
Add stock to bread mixture; toss. Add thyme, sage, and parsley. Add the salt, and season with pepper. Stir in eggs.
To bake stuffing: Place stuffing in a buttered 9-by-13-inch baking dish; cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes; remove foil. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. To cook in turkey: Stuff as directed. Place remaining 5 cups stuffing in a buttered 8-inch square baking dish; bake as directed above.