Roasted Winter Vegetables
Hearty yet still light, this recipe is the perfect side for roasted meats. And bonus: leftovers become a quick soup in the blender with a touch of stock.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Everyday Food, December 2009
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for sheets
- 1 medium acorn squash, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and halved lengthwise (quartered if large)
- 1/2 pound shallots, halved
- 1 head garlic, cloves broken apart and left unpeeled
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 8 sprigs thyme
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush 2 large rimmed baking sheets with oil. In a large bowl, toss all vegetables with oil and season with salt and pepper. Divide vegetables between baking sheets. Top with thyme and roast until golden and tender, 30 to 35 minutes, rotating sheets and tossing vegetables halfway through.