- 4 medium skate wings, boned and skinned
- Coarse salt, (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper, (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cups panko (Japanese wheat breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves roughly chopped, plus 12 whole leaves
- 1/4 bunch fresh chives, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 12 sprigs fresh chervil
- 16 tarragon leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Beet Salad
- Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
Season skate with salt and pepper. Lightly brush both sides with mustard. In a medium bowl, combine panko, chopped parsley, and chives. Coat skate with panko mixture.
Heat oil and butter in a large nonreactive saute pan over medium heat. Add skate, and cook until golden brown, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes on each side.
In a small bowl, combine chervil, tarragon, and whole parsley leaves. Drizzle with lemon juice. Season with salt, and set herb mixture aside.
Spoon mashed potatoes into center of each plate. Top with a skate wing. Place beet salad around skate, and garnish with herb mixture.