Vegetable Soup with Vermicelli
This soup is a colorful addition to any buffet. It is also an excellent soup for a one-course supper served with home-baked bread and a green salad. This recipe is from "Entertaining," by Martha Stewart.
- Servings: 10
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large red peppers, cut into 1-by-1/4-inch strips
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups diced potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 8 cups rich chicken broth
- 2 pounds green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 small zucchini, cut lengthwise into quarters and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 pound vermicelli
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
In a heavy 6-quart casserole, saute the onions in the oil until soft. Add the garlic, red peppers, and carrots. Cook 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and stock and simmer until potatoes are almost tender.
Add the green beans and zucchini and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in the vermicelli and continue cooking until the vermicelli is al dente. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with parsley. Serve piping hot.