Watercress Salad with Persimmons and Hazelnuts
Serve this light and delicious watercress, persimmon, and hazelnut salad -- it's a great meal on its own or as a starter.
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup hazelnut oil
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 2 bunches watercress, washed and well dried, tough stems removed
- 4 heads red endive, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup blanched hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 to 3 medium Fuyu persimmons, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 4 ounces soft, ripened goat cheese, such as Bijou, Humboldt Fog, or Bucheron, cut into 8 wedges
In a large bowl, whisk together shallot, orange juice, vinegar, honey, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Slowly whisk in oils until mixture is emulsified; season with salt and pepper.
Add red endive and watercress to bowl with dressing; lightly toss. Add hazelnuts and transfer salad to a large chilled platter. Place persimmon wedges and cheese around edge of platter; serve immediately.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show