Under 30 Minutes
Flat-Iron Steak Tacos
Instead of ground beef, fill flour tortillas with tender steak and a quick cabbage slaw -- all ready in 20 minutes. Marinated cabbage salad makes a tangy partner for meaty tacos. A little lime juice is enough to soften the cabbage.
- 1/2 head red cabbage (about 1 pound), cored and shredded (4 cups)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 to 3 limes)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 flat-iron steaks (8 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 flour tortillas (6-inch)
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup store-bought green salsa
Heat broiler to high, with rack 4 inches from heat. Line a large rimmed baking sheet or broiler pan with aluminum foil. In a medium bowl, combine cabbage, lime juice, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Let stand for 10 minutes (or refrigerate, up to overnight).
Meanwhile, sprinkle steaks with cumin; season with salt and pepper. Place on prepared baking sheet, and broil 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer steaks to a plate; cover loosely with foil, and let rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice crosswise.
Stack tortillas, and wrap in a double layer of damp paper towels; microwave until hot, about 1 minute. Alternatively, holding each tortilla with tongs, lightly toast over a low flame. To assemble, fill tortillas with steak, and top with cabbage slaw, cheddar, and salsa.