Mashed Potatoes With Bitter Greens and Sweet Onions
Don't mash these potatoes very much; they aren't meant to be smooth.
- 8 medium red potatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon dark-brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup hot milk, or more as needed
- 1 bunch dandelion greens, arugula, or other bitter greens, washed
Place whole potatoes and 2 teaspoons salt in a large pot and add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium high; cook until tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Drain, return to pot, and keep warm.
While potatoes are cooking, heat olive oil and 1 teaspoon butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; saute, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
Meanwhile, remove stems from greens. Roughly chop a quarter of the greens; set aside. Place remaining greens in a serving bowl.
While potatoes are still hot, roughly mash using a large fork or a whisk. Add hot milk, remaining butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; mash to combine. Stir in half the onions and the chopped greens. Place potatoes over greens in bowl; top with remaining onions. Serve hot.