Stenciled Chocolate Cupcakes
Make a bevy of bats, a swarm of spiders, or an assortment of other scary designs atop chocolate cupcakes. Similar Halloween stencils for this recipe are available from Martha Stewart Crafts.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
Mix in eggs, water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla until smooth, about 3 minutes. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin tins. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until tops spring back when lightly touched, about 20 minutes. Let cool in tins on wire racks.
Before serving, place a stencil atop each cupcake, and dust with confectioners' sugar. Carefully remove stencil.