Hot Crab Dip
Satisfy hungry holiday guests with this mouthwatering crab dip from chef Emeril Lagasse's "Emeril's Potluck" cookbook. Also try: Corn Cakes with Christmas Caviar
- Servings: 16
- Yield: Makes about 2 quarts
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, December 2009
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence
- 1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced scallions
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, picked through for shells and cartilage
- 1/2 cup saltine or butter cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Toast points or crackers, for serving
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, bell peppers, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon Essence. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set vegetables aside.
Place cream cheese, mayonnaise, parsley, scallions, lemon juice, remaining teaspoon salt, and remaining tablespoon Essence in the bowl of a food processor; process until smooth. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; fold in cooked vegetables and crabmeat. Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish.
In a small bowl, mix together breadcrumbs and melted butter; stir to combine. Spread breadcrumb mixture over crabmeat mixture and bake until hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
Serve with toast points or crackers.