Pureed Spinach-Potato Soup
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: WILLIAM MEPPEM
Source: Annual Recipes 2004
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 5 small) Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or white wine
- 2 cans (each 15 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 bunches (about 1/4 pounds) spinach, tough stems removed, leaves rinsed well and dried
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and potatoes; stir to coat. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
Pour sherry, chicken broth, and 2 cups water into pan; stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover, and simmer until potatoes are very tender, about 15 minutes.
Stir spinach into pan, and cook until wilted and bright green, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Puree soup with an immersion blender until smooth. (Alternatively, use a regular blender, working in batches so as not to fill jar more than halfway. Return mixture to saucepan.) Season with salt and pepper, and serve.