Bright, earthy golden beets are mixed with slender haricots verts, basil, and tart goat cheese -- all dressed with a homemade Dijon-shallot vinaigrette.
- 6 large golden beets, trimmed
- 6 ounces haricots verts, trimmed
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot (from 1 shallot)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup loosely packed torn fresh basil, plus small leaves for garnish
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wrap beets in parchment, then foil, and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until tender, about 60 minutes. Let cool completely. Peel and cut beets into 1/2-inch dice. Transfer to a large bowl.
Prepare an ice-water bath. Cook haricots verts in boiling salted water until bright green and crisp tender, about 2 minutes. Transfer to ice-water bath, and drain. Cut beans diagonally into thirds, and add to beets.
Mix vinegar, shallot, and mustard in a small bowl. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified. Toss with vegetables, and season with salt and pepper. Stir in torn basil and goat cheese. Garnish with basil leaves.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, July 2008