Spicy Cheese Bread
This delicious recipe which requires no baking is from Pamela Kim of Stamford, Connecticut.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 10 pieces
Source: Everyday Food, October 2003
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 baguette (16 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine butter, olive oil, garlic, scallion, thyme, oregano, and crushed red pepper. Melt in microwave on high, about 1 minute.
Halve baguette lengthwise; place on baking sheet. Brush cut sides with mixture; sprinkle with Gruyere and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until cheese is melted and golden, 12 to 15 minutes. To serve, slice each half crosswise into 5 pieces.