Greek-Style Quinoa Burgers
For the right consistency and an extra dash of tang, use a thick Greek yogurt for the cucumber sauce.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Body+Soul, May 2008
- 1/2 cup rinsed quinoa
- 1 medium carrot, cut in large chunks
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 15 ounces great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt
- Ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 pitas (each 6 inches)
- 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced diagonally
In a small saucepan, bring 3/4 cup water to a boil; add quinoa, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until liquid is absorbed, 12 to 14 minutes; set aside.
In a food processor, pulse carrot until finely chopped. Add cooked quinoa, half the scallions, beans, breadcrumbs, egg, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; pulse until combined but still slightly chunky.
Form mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties (dip hands in water to prevent sticking). If too soft, refrigerate 10 minutes to firm. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium; cook burgers until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, and the remaining scallions; season with salt and pepper. Serve burgers in pita topped with cucumber and yogurt sauce.