Salad made with Golden Delicious apples fills lettuce "bowls" for lunch or dinner; serve leftovers as an after-school snack.
- 2 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, about 1 pound total
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced crosswise (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds with skins, toasted (omit if serving to children under 3)
- 1 medium Golden Delicious apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 head Bibb or Boston lettuce, leaves separated (optional)
Bring stock and 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 2 minutes. Season chicken with salt and pepper; add to stock mixture. Simmer, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 14 minutes. Remove chicken using a slotted spoon; discard liquid. Let chicken stand until cool enough to handle. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
Stir together mayonnaise, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, the celery, apricots, almonds, if using, and apple in a medium bowl. Stir in chicken. Refrigerate chicken salad, covered, until cold, about 30 minutes.To serve in lettuce bowls, spoon about 1/2 cup chicken salad onto each leaf, using the smaller, inside leaves for kid-size portions. Any leftover chicken salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
SourceMartha Stewart Living Special Issues, 2006