Warm Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Beatriz Da Costa
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February Winter 2004
- 3/4 cup green lentils (4.75 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced crosswise and separated into rings
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons balsamic or sherry vinegar
- 6 ounces spinach, stemmed and coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add lentils, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add shallots, and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add carrot, celery, and bell pepper; continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes more. Stir in parsley, vinegar, and remaining tablespoon oil. Transfer to a large bowl.
Drain lentils, and add to bowl with vegetables. Stir in spinach, and season with salt and black pepper. Crumble goat cheese into bowl, and toss gently to combine.