Warm Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese
- 3/4 cup green lentils (4.75 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced crosswise and separated into rings
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons balsamic or sherry vinegar
- 6 ounces spinach, stemmed and coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add lentils, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add shallots, and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add carrot, celery, and bell pepper; continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes more. Stir in parsley, vinegar, and remaining tablespoon oil. Transfer to a large bowl.
Drain lentils, and add to bowl with vegetables. Stir in spinach, and season with salt and black pepper. Crumble goat cheese into bowl, and toss gently to combine.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, February Winter 2004