Couscous and Shrimp With Cumin Dressing
This salad can be assembled an hour or two ahead of time, but add the dressing just before serving so the couscous doesn't soak it all up.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Best Couscous
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Put shrimp in the pan in a single layer, season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and cook for 2 minutes. Turn and season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper; cook just until opaque throughout, about 1 minute more. Remove and refrigerate until cool enough to handle. Cut shrimp in half lengthwise.
In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, and cumin. Whisking, add remaining 6 tablespoons oil slowly. Add couscous, shrimp, tomatoes, lettuce, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and toss.