Bean and Cheese Burritos
These burritos use cost-conscious ingredients and can be prepared in 30 minutes.
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, April 2010
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) refried beans
- 4 flour tortillas (burrito size)
- 1/4 cup sour cream, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar (2.5 ounces)
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce (2 cups), shredded
- 1/2 cup salsa, plus more for serving (optional)
Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350 degrees. In a small saucepan, bring rice and broth to a boil over high. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes; fluff rice with a fork. Meanwhile, in another small saucepan, warm beans and cup water over low, stirring occasionally. Wrap tortillas in foil and place in oven to warm, about 10 minutes.
To assemble, divide beans, sour cream, rice, cheese, lettuce, and salsa among tortillas. For each tortilla, fold side closest to you over filling, then fold right and left sides toward center; tightly roll up burrito. Serve topped with more sour cream and salsa if desired.