Chicken and Potato Chowder
Inspired by classic clam chowder, this delicious creamy chicken soup is packed with red potatoes, peas, and corn.
- Servings: 6
- Yield: Makes 7 Cups
Source: Martha Stewart Kids, Spring
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (12 ounces total), cut into cubes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 1/2 pound red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Add remaining tablespoon oil to same pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic; season with salt. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Sprinkle in flour; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Slowly stir in stock until incorporated; add potatoes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until potatoes are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Stir in milk and nutmeg. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick, 3 to 5 minutes. Add reserved chicken, corn, and peas; simmer until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.