Stir-Fried Chicken with Noodles
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 fresh 3-inch piece ginger, peeled and cut into long, thin strips
- 2 whole boneless chicken breasts, (1 1/2 pounds), cut into strips
- 12 shiitake or white mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 4 scallions, green parts, cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1 cup Homemade Chicken Stock Homemade Chicken Stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice-wine vinegar
- 1 pound somen, soba, linguine, or spaghetti noodles, cooked
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts, as garnish
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, as garnish
- Black or white sesame seeds, as garnish
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok or heavy skillet. Add garlic and half the ginger; cook slowly until brown. Discard garlic and ginger.
Brown chicken in wok. Add mushrooms, remaining ginger, pepper strips, and scallions; cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water. Add stock, soy sauce, vinegar, and cornstarch mixture to the wok. Bring to a boil, and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, and keep warm.
In wok, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add noodles and a few spoonfuls of sauce, and heat. Top with chicken mixture; garnish, and serve.