Rempah Spice Paste
Use this rempah spice paste to make KF Seetoh's Laksa, a popular Singaporean street food.
- 1 cup peeled shallots
- 15 candlenuts
- 1 (0.2-ounce) cube belachan (shrimp paste)
- 1 (0.2-ounce) cube fresh turmeric
- 2 (4-inch) pieces lemongrass stem, coarsely chopped
- 15 cloves garlic
- 1 (0.4-ounce) cube galangal
- 1 large (about 4 inches long) fresh red Thai or Indonesian finger chile, stem, ribs, and seeds removed
- 12 to 15 dried Indian finger chiles, soaked and seeded or 3 to 4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 0.2 ounces Laksa or dried, crushed holy basil leaves
- 1 cup dried shrimp
Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor along with 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water. Process until smooth.