Potatoes Antico Modo
Make this wonderful potato dish courtesy of Chef Andrew Carmellini ("Urban Italian").
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3 Idaho potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
- Sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Place butter in a large heatproof bowl, set over (but not touching) simmering water. When butter is melted, add potatoes and stir to coat. Add thyme, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are translucent, about 20 minutes.
Layer potatoes in two 2-inch deep, 5-by-7-inch baking dishes, taking care not to break the potatoes. Transfer to oven and bake until top is crisp, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and serve immediately.