Potatoes Antico Modo
Make this wonderful potato dish courtesy of Chef Andrew Carmellini ("Urban Italian").
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3 Idaho potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
- Sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Place butter in a large heatproof bowl, set over (but not touching) simmering water. When butter is melted, add potatoes and stir to coat. Add thyme, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are translucent, about 20 minutes.
Layer potatoes in two 2-inch deep, 5-by-7-inch baking dishes, taking care not to break the potatoes. Transfer to oven and bake until top is crisp, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and serve immediately.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2009