Savor authentic Thai flavor at home with this traditional recipe from Chez Pim blogger Pim Techamuanvivit.
- 1/2 cup tamarind juice
- 1/2 cup Thai palm sugar
- 1/2 cup Thai fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground chili powder
- Vegetable oil, for cooking
- 30 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (6.7-ounce) package sponge fried tofu, divided into 6 equal portions, each portion thinly sliced
- 1 (16-ounce) bag dried rice stick noodles
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons prepared pickled turnips, chopped
- 6 cups bean sprouts
- 3 cups fresh flat-leaf garlic chives or scallions, dark-green parts only, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped roasted unsalted peanuts, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
Place the tamarind juice, palm sugar, and fish sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until melted. Add ground chili powder and stir to combine. Remove from heat and set sauce aside.
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Place noodles in a large bowl; pour enough boiling water over noodles to cover. Let stand about 7 minutes, stirring gently every few minutes to ensure that noodles do not stick together. Drain and rinse noodles under cold water. Drain again and divide noodles into 6 equal portions.
Heat a wok over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil and 5 pieces of shrimp; cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Add a pinch of garlic, 1 tablespoon pickled turnip, and 1 portion of tofu; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add 2 tablespoons reserved sauce; stir to combine. Transfer shrimp and tofu mixture to a medium bowl.
Increase heat to high and add 3 to 4 tablespoons oil. When oil is hot, add 1 portion of the noodles and 3 to 4 tablespoons sauce; stir quickly until well combined. Cook until noodles are soft, 1 to 2 minutes. Return shrimp and tofu mixture to wok and stir to combine. Add 1 cup bean sprouts; cook, stirring, until sprouts are softened, about 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup garlic chives and stir to combine.
Transfer pad thai to a serving plate and sprinkle with some of the chopped peanuts; serve immediately with a lime wedge. Repeat process 5 times with remaining ingredients.