Spaghetti with Peas and Zucchini Ribbons
This quick, colorful pasta showcases the season's first peas, zucchini, and basil.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
- Yield: Serves 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2007
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shelled fresh English peas (about 1 1/2 pounds unshelled) or thawed frozen petite peas
- 8 ounces baby zucchini (about 12), trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick slices with a mandoline or a knife
- 1 1/2 cups plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves, very thinly sliced
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add 1 teaspoon salt. Add peas, and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes for fresh peas and 1 minute for frozen. Using a slotted spoon, transfer peas to a medium bowl; set aside. Add zucchini to pot, and cook 30 seconds; using a slotted spoon, transfer to bowl with peas.
Put yogurt and basil into a large, heatproof bowl; season with salt and pepper. Set bowl over the boiling water, and whisk until mixture is warm, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add peas and zucchini to bowl; set aside.
Cook pasta in salted boiling water until al dente; drain. Add pasta to vegetables and sauce, and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with cheese.