Warm-Mushroom Salad with Pistou Vinaigrette
Classic pistou is a mixture of crushed basil, garlic, and olive oil, but almost any other herb, such as parsley, thyme, or oregano, can be used in place of the basil.
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms (about 13 ounces), such as shiitake and oyster, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino, plus more shavings for garnish
- 1 1/4 cups loosely packed herbs such as basil, parsley, thyme, or oregano, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces mixed greens
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange mushrooms on piece of foil; season with wine, 3 tablespoons oil, salt, and pinch of pepper. Slice 1 clove garlic; scatter over mushrooms. Fold foil to create loose package. Bake until mushrooms are fork tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
Finely chop remaining garlic clove; add to bowl along with pecorino and chopped herbs. Toss, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place greens in a bowl; season with remaining oil, salt, pepper, and vinegar. Arrange greens on serving plates, and top with warm mushroom mixture. Garnish with shavings of pecorino if desired.